Tuesday, May 15, 2018

My Camp Weekend

 
I went to our camp on my own this weekend so I could do some early season clean-up.  One place I really needed to address was our tiny bathroom.  Even if you clean up when you close, there is still work to do in the spring.  Dust and dampness, spiders and other debris make things dirty again.  So I cleaned every surface and organized our supplies.  In the past I had rolled the towels but decided folding made more sense.

We have such a small area and the sink is tiny.  The only way I could fit our supplies was to get a double-deck rack.  It is pretty easy to clean up since it is metal.  I like to keep the dental supplies in a small plastic lid because it is waterproof and easy to pick up.  Water from the sink gets everywhere so rubber/plastic works well.  Our tub/shower is cracked so that is now where we exclusively keep our dirty laundry.  The RV park has a bath house which we use for showers. It is actually very clean and works well.

Saturday was a grey and wet day, so it didn't bother me to stay inside and clean.  Sunday was nice, so I got out with my camera to another cemetery.   This one is Bushnell Cemetery in Sodus, NY.  Early settlers and veterans from the War of 1812 lay at rest here.  It is very peaceful and the stones are very old and worn.  It sits amid orchards.  We drive past it regularly but I hadn't really stopped to photograph it. 

I also stopped at the lighthouse museum to enjoy the wonderful view of the outer bay lighthouse.  When you live on the Great Lakes, you come to really love lighthouses.  I grew up on Long Island and also loved the station at Montauk Point.  I coerced TBG into marrying me there.

I had to take a webinar on Friday morning, so I didn't drive up until the afternoon.  The weather on Thursday night was bad, so I didn't miss much. It was nice to be completely on my own so I could clean at my own pace and get out to take some pictures.  There has not been a lot of bird activity to watch yet. The Eagles are probably pretty busy with their hatchlings. A lot of trees came down along the shore over the winter so there may be less areas near us to perch.

I finally feel like the summer camp season is under way. It's about time!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely to me just to have the "me" time. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel strange when I don't have a dog with me, but it was nice not to worry about anyone other than myself for sure!

      Delete
  2. That cemetery looks fascinating, I'd love a stroll around it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the oldest I've found but there are small ones like this around the area and I want to hunt them down. It is very peaceful too.

      Delete
  3. I would love somewhere like that to escape to, with or without hubby. Beautiful scenery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to drive out by myself if all I'm going to do is sit around or just relax. Then I realize I have a problem at home because I don't relax!

      Delete
  4. I should know this, but what lake is that? You'd think I was new here. I also liked the cemetery picture. It put a lump in my throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on Lake Ontario. What is also touching about the cemetery, is that someone or group puts medallions next to each soldier's stone. So many died in the war of 1812 and they were veterans too!

      Delete