Monday, May 7, 2018

Glasses

I misplaced my glasses over a week ago.  They were my last new pair when I had vision coverage.  Although I had coverage, I still spent a pretty penny on them because they were "designer" frames.  I vowed to never do that again.  When I thought they were lost, I dug up my most recent prescription and ordered a new set on eyebuydirect.com.  That is where I order all of my glasses on-line.

Turns out TBG found my missing glasses in the wagon.  Of course I didn't see them when I was looking -- because I didn't have my glasses on. I was wearing a pair of RX lenses that did not have reading/near lenses in.  I need to take those off when I go shopping because I can't read labels.  Turns out that decision wasn't so smart.  This style is what I chose to replace the pair I thought were lost.  That set was tortoise shell.  They also had gold metal, which meant I was loath to wear them with silver jewelry.  This pair is all acetate.

 There was a deal that if you spent over $99 you saved one third.  As a result, I picked up another pair.  The blue pair are plastic -- which is less expensive.  It will be nice to have another "fall-back" pair.  I have a nice set of Raybans that are colorful, but the lenses are scratched which makes them hard to read in. So, if I want a little color, I have these.  The entire order came to $68 bucks, which was much less than my share of the glasses and lenses I bought when I had vision insurance.  Hence, I now think that is a rip-off.

And on another "glass" related note, I replaced the bulb in the apothecary style shade over my vanity.  The clear round bulb was a buck at the Dollar Tree.  That is a fraction of what the craft store sells them for.  I will keep an eye out for a good price on "Edison" style bulbs -- as that is what I believe these shades are really meant to have.  It's no big deal to me that I have settled for a cheaper alternative.  After all, we can all easily see how cheap I am!

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I know that one... you can't find your glasses because you're blind without your glasses on! But it's always a good idea to have a backup pair or two. I'll have to check out that website next time I need new glasses. I've had pretty good luck with Zenni.com, but I have a horrible time finding glasses that are narrow enough for my little pin head, so it's always good to have more options!

    I can't see a thing with traditional bifocals, so I finally got progressives (the kind without the line) and I do much better. The only problem is that if I lay on the couch to watch a movie, I end up looking out of the close up part of the lens, so I can't see anything! So... I have a single vision pair for watching movies. And... when I ride my bike I have a pair with less magnification in the close up part so I can still see the ground when I look down... but I have to have at least some close vision correction or else I can't read the bike computer to tell how fast I'm going.

    Damn! Getting old sure is complicated where vision is concerned! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stated wearing bifocals at the age of 3, so I had a very hard time with progressives. That's why I am back with the old-fashioned kind. I have a small head too, and am always asked to confirm my pupilary distance since it's also small. I do wait for sales, the prices can add up once you start figuring lenses, etc. I shopped a few other sites and the prices were high once I plugged in my RX and they hit you with the bi-focal charge. I have focal issues like you do too!+

      Delete
  2. I like that bulb. I hate it when I cannot see well enough to find my glasses. I take my glasses off when I lie down and watch tv. My far vision is fine. I never thought about the fact you cannot see the ground with bifocals. If I ever get baack to riding my bike, I will have to consider glasses to see the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the ground with bi-focals. It might have to do with your vision compared to mine. My eyes are so messed up that I couldn't even do corrective surgery -- I'd still need glasses. So I am relieved that I can at least get them at a reasonable cost.

      Delete
  3. Interesting thing about frames. A while back I went into a fairly expensive eyeglasses store and picked out two pairs of frames. (I didn't purchase either one because I'm getting cataract surgery before I buy new glasses.) Anyway, one pair was a brand I'd never heard of and the other was an expensive brand and one I somewhat covet. Guess which one seemed to be the better made one. Yup, the much cheaper one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glasses I thought I had lost were Coach. That made me sick to my stomach. They were the one pair in the store that looked good on me. Nothing else did. I love my Ray Bans and might see about replacing the lenses. I just need a cheap way to do that!

      Delete