Thursday, May 10, 2018

Consolidating

I have consolidated all of our linens into a cedar chest.  This contains a couple of sets of sheets, spare pillow cases, towels and bath mats.  Quite a lot of stuff needed to go in order to make this single source of storage work.  We decided we don't really like king sized pillows and no longer have any.  So those pillow cases went.  A number of top sheets went too.  Anything that was ripped was cut into rags. I don't like to donate damaged goods -- I think it sends a negative message.  I think people who  buy second hand deserve to buy good stuff.

We were using an old china cabinet for our towels.  This also held a few blankets as well.  It was a hand-me-down from a friend.  The glass was broken so I stapled a piece of cloth in front of it.  TBG never liked it, but it solved a problem.

I decided I had grown less than fond of the piece and made up my mind to scale back on what we need to store so that I could get rid of it. This is something I will donate because I think someone could find a use for it.  It would be cool to up-cycle or re-purpose but I don't have an idea or time for that now, so I will pass it on.

My plan is to move the cedar chest to where this cabinet was.  The cabinet blocks a window.  The chest won't.  I want to find cushions to put on it so I can sit on it when I put my shoes on in the morning.  Taking it out of the bedroom will mean I can move laundry baskets to the spot it has lived.  Right now, they  block TBGs closet door.

I am looking forward to three years from now, when I order all new bedroom furniture that matches.  We can get 'case goods' at cost -- the type of furniture used in the hospitality industry.  The company that makes it is a high end green/sustainable cabinet manufacturer.  We have purchased other pieces and they are wonderful.  For now, I'll be satisfied by culling as much of the really worn stuff that I can.  I know other people like it, but I have come to the point where I'm not willing to hold on to something I don't absolutely love simply because it was old and it was of value to someone else.

It also helps to clear up space in our tiny house, which is never a bad thing!

4 comments:

  1. What is the source of the case goods used by hospitality industry, please? I think I like that china cabinet, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We buy cabinets made by Bertch. They make really nice stuff!

      Delete
  2. I love your china cabinet, a proper grand old lady! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the time to re-purpose or otherwise update it!

      Delete