Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Avoiding Plastic

I have resolved to stop buying anything in a plastic container, unless I can't avoid it.  After seeing news articles about the growing masses of plastic in large bodies of water, reading how the bottom has dropped out of the recycling market, resulting in a shortage of entities to take and re-use the material, I have decided the most responsible thing I can do as a citizen of our planet, is to avoid contributing to the waste cycle.


Avoiding plastic has not been easy.  This week, I purchased milk in a carton -- which cost a lot more than in a plastic jug.  The price difference in Orange Juice wasn't horrible, but I had to buy a product made from concentrate.  I can live with that.  The buttermilk I give to the pup is not available in anything but plastic.  It's also hard to find shampoos, moisturizers, etc. in anything other than plastic.  That large Neutrogena purchase I just made goes against my new resolve (I purchased it before I came to this conclusion).  I should probably stick to bar soap from here on in.  It will probably be possible to buy shampoo in a bar form -- but I won't have much to choose from.

I re-use glass jars, so that is the type of packaging I am always looking for.  Sour cream, yogurt, etc. only come in plastic -- so I try to re-use those containers too.  I don't know how badly plastic bags impact the environment, but I should try to avoid that and plastic wrap (which is very difficult to do).  That eliminates bags of salad -- I'll have to buy the heads (and not put them in plastic bags).

Completely cutting plastic packaging out of my life will be impossible, but I am honestly going to try.  I don't know how others feel, but I surely don't want to add to the garbage crisis.  Recycling is something I'll always do, but my fear is that as time goes on, what we put in that bin won't always end up being re-manufactured. Do you feel the way I do?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    I have been trying to eradicate plastic from my life too, you are right in saying it’s not easy, but persevere, you will find ways to use less plastic in your life if you really want to. Have a lovely day,
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment and support Fi -- and now I have another cool blog to read!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I to try to eliminate as much as possible. I reuse cottage cheese and sour cream containers. I use wax wraps that I make for saran wrap as much as possible also. I use glass where ever possible. I stopped using pump soap for that reason. Also I save plastic bread bags to make into rugs. It is just so hard to buy anything without plastic in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to re-use bags for picking up poop. Not ideal, but it's better than nothing. I will put a plate over a glass bowl to avoid using cling wrap. I drive TBG crazy saving aluminum foil to use again. Hey, if it's clean, why not? I am going to buy a glass pump dispenser for soap so I can just but one jug and refill it. I'll have to experiment with melting down bar soap for that....

      Delete
  4. We try to go Green as much as we're able, alas, so much is packaged in plastic nowadays that it's sometimes difficult to find the alternatives that would be more environmentally friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to remind myself to stick to this too. I picked up a bottle of salad dressing and after it was in my cart, I remembered I'm not buying plastic. So I got one in a glass jar. It wasn't the original flavor (Ranch) that I wanted, but I had to do it. It is not easy!

      Delete
  5. I think it's a great idea. It's hard though. I do reuse the plastic containers instead of buying actual containers to store leftovers or whatever. I don't get buying containers to put things in that you took out of a plastic container already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read Beth Terry's blog myplasticfreelife.com? She doesn't blog much anymore, but her archives are full of great tips for avoiding plastic.

    She takes the no plastic thing to extremes, and while it's impressive, it also seems like sometimes you're "robbing Peter to pay Paul" if you know what I mean. I tried to be strictly no plastic for a few years, but it ended up meaning that I was driving a lot more (to shop at places that had bulk foods and don't package their produce in plastic, etc.) and spending a LOT more for groceries.


    So I try to do what I can, reuse, recycle, etc. - but I sorta burned out on making my own yogurt and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My county is actually charging for recycling so at this time I have given up on the recycling. Fortunately I wasn't generating a lot of either trash or recycling. Now too reduce both some more. In my case plastic is here to stay since all garbage must be bagged even what is put in the garbage cans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and one other eco-nerd thought. If you're going to try shampoo alternatives, you should know that a shampoo bar is basically just soap. It won't say soap on the label, it will say "saponified" oil of some sort... but that's basically what soap is. It may have some extra ingredients designed specifically for hair, so I'm not knocking shampoo bars, but as a soap based cleanser it won't rinse clean if you have hard water, so you'll need to use some sort of acidic rinse.

    You can read all about my adventures in shampoo-free living here if you're curious:

    https://ecocatlady.blogspot.com/2012/02/secrets-to-my-no-poo-success.html

    p.s. I'm not trying to drum up traffic for my blog or persuade you to go "no poo" - just trying to arm you with some information that might save you a few headaches (and bad hair days!)

    ReplyDelete