Saturday, April 28, 2018

Let There Be Light

I wanted to surprise TBG with new lighting in our bedroom.  He is out at camp de-winterizing.  This is something he does so I don't have to.  On the other hand, I decorate so he doesn't have to.  The decor in our master bedroom is sadly lacking and that room will not be renovated for another couple of years.  This year, it's the siding, next year it will be the kitchen.  After that, we will knock down a wall and improve the bedroom.  For now, I just try to do little things to keep it from looking too crappy.


Our nightstands are ancient.  They belonged to my grandparents.  At one point, someone did a messy paint job and splattered all over these. My step-grandmother was too blind to notice.  The set is from the 40's and has seen better days.  The old set of mismatched lights didn't do much to help the look.  My vision was to hang plug-in swag lights, preferably basket style.  While I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, I am pleased with the results.

TBG relies on a Bi-Pap machine, a very expensive and annoying appliance which  I detest -- but realize is a necessity.  Having the unit on the nightstand created a big problem.  With a bulky lamp for illumination, a picture and a glass of water, it was not only a cluttered hazard, it was hard to dust and keep clean.  TBGs allergies sometimes make it hard for him to breath with his mask, so I am doing what I can to cut down on dust.  I think opening up the nightstand will help.
As luck would have it, Michael's had this sort of lighting product on sale.  The two baskets were on clearance for $7.49 a piece.  Both lamp cords were under $20.  I picked up two funky bulbs but one broke as soon as I screwed it in. They are going back for a refund.  While there weren't any in a true basket style, I was thrilled to have found the black metal wire. It is a fine match for our headboard.  I had tried to find the light cords at Home Depot, but they had nothing that would work.  There was one kind I tried, but ended up returning it.  It was sheer lucky to stumble on the sale!  The bargain gods really have been smiling on me lately.

These two misfits are going to thrift-land.  Actually, the cabinet they are in front of is going as well -- but that is a subject for another post.

I think TBG will be happy with his  new lighting.  He likes to read in bed.  Since I ran his Nook through the washing machine, he's been making do with a Kindle -- but that isn't a great device, so he sometimes reads paper books and magazines.  We are getting him a new Nook this weekend, but I still wanted to do something about the dusty and cluttered night stand situation.  I am happy with the result!

14 comments:

  1. Your bedroom looks fine. I like the old nightstands, the two lamps (not the shades) and cabinet you are getting rid of! Getting rid of the carpet would probably help his allergies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the lights, but the issue was that there was no room on the nightstands with the lamps on them. So, that was my plan -- open up more space. I figure they will live a good life elsewhere!

      Delete
    2. They certainly do the job of freeing up the tables. I can understand the need to do so. I wish I lived near the place you are taking those lamps and especially the cabinet. They could live with me! lol

      Delete
  2. I am asthmatic. First thing DH and I have done in any pre-existing home we have bought is remove carpet, and have wood floors put in. (No home we have purchased has been built before the 1980's.) Why, I would rather have unfinished wood sub-flooring than carpet! Having grown up in New England, though, I know that if you've bought an old (as in antique) house, you can pull up many, many layers of carpet and linoleum to reveal pretty, original wood floors. In my childhood home, my parents pulled ugly, ugly, UGLY carpet, (with linoleum underneath) up to find that the middle of the rooms was floored in uneven width narrow strips, cobbled together, all uneven, but the outside was nice, even width planks. This was because the center of the room would have been covered by a rug, but the outside visible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to add, I love what you did with your room. I always like your home photos. Like Linda, I also love the looks of the cabinet you are getting rid of. Can't wait to read the post.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Meg! We need to get some cash together to pull up the rugs upstairs. That will be part of the master bedroom renovation project in another couple of years. Someone had the stupid idea to put linoleum over the wood floors -- so it will be a job to pull up the carpet, remove the linoleum, then assess what should be done. One hurdle is to be able to clear out a room at time in order to do the entire second floor. Since there will be construction, we don't want to uncover the floors until that is done. So, we have three years to wait on that!

      Delete
    3. It might be like unwrapping a present!
      Honestly, why the hell did people do that to gorgeous floors? They also did things like paint original stone fireplaces, and carpet bathrooms and kitchens.

      Delete
  3. Good for you. Your changes should make a huge difference. Being able to read in bed is very important for me too.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBG is a voracious reader and often has trouble sleeping, so being able to read is important to him. He also despises clutter. I think he will like having the space open up on the nightstand.

      Delete
  4. I like the hanging light idea - very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! I am looking forward to a future with pot lights in the ceiling, so the next best thing is lighting hanging from the ceiling! There is a horrid ceiling fan in the room that I will see about replacing this summer with something more in line with those lamps.

      Delete
  5. I love what you did. Any time you can eliminate something from a flat surface, to me is a bonus. Easier to keep clean and looks neater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely think alike! I have a big lamp on my vanity and a solution for that is coming next.

      Delete
  6. I love lamps that don't add clutter to a surface. Good job.

    ReplyDelete