Saturday, March 10, 2018

Will Break for Bargains...


I am a crazy bargain hunter.  If I need something, unless it's absolutely critical, I will do without it unless I can find it on sale.  Then, there is the category of something I'd like to have but am not willing to buy unless I find it for really cheap.  Sometimes I purposely seek out an item -- I know it's on sale or clearance and I intentionally go out to  buy.  Then there's my (probably) psychotic habit of gleaning for bargains when I am out hunting and gathering for other purposes.  That's what I consider my "I Break for Bargains" shopping method.





Living next door to an aspiring sommelier has had an effect on my drinking habits.  I now enjoy red wine more -- having been given better examples and gaining more of an idea of what I like is the result of being exposed to better samples.  Being given two crystal wine glasses appropriate for red wine helped too.  There is something to be said about the snobbery of drinking from a very thin-lipped glass, which I now appreciate.  And I can't believe I just wrote that.  The result is that I have been keeping my eyes open for better quality every-day crystal wine glasses.  I'm not brave enough to use my fine crystal for every day drinking because I know I am a klutz.  Especially when over-drinking, which is not as rare an occurrence as it should be.

My financial bench mark for better everyday crystal glasses is $2.50 per stem.  That is the price my neighbor can get them for at the restaurant supply store.  If I see a box of four in a discount store for $15 for a box of four, I won't jump.  Nope, they'd have to be $9.99  or less.

Yesterday I was in Burlington Coat Factory Outlet with two specific items to buy:  a pair of winter gloves (I lost yet another pair!), and a Veggetti spiralizer.  I wanted the spiralizer as a birthday present for my sister and I know that they are $6.99 there -- which is a good price.  While I was there, I did a sweep of the clearance section.  I do that any time I shop -- and that is my "break for bargain" method.  Well, I was surprised to find a box of four Nachtmann crystal champagne flutes for $3.99.  The box had already been opened so I assume one would be cracked or broken.  It was a total surprise to find they were all intact.  I had to have them.

I routinely spend a buck per glass at the dollar store because I break wine glasses quite frequently. I will admit I handle the crystal ones more carefully and have yet to break them (duh, I probably just jinxed myself).  Getting these babies for a buck a piece is a coup as Nachtmann is a division of Reidel; Bed, Bath & Beyond sells this set for $49.99.

I know many financial and home experts warn you against buying on impulse or just because something is on sale.  Well, that's just not something I can force myself to do.  I have champagne taste on a beer budget -- and F them all -- I'm having my champers and drinking it too!

4 comments:

  1. Great buy! I found a couple of stemless Reidel wine glasses on our 24 hr bidding site for $8 - huge bargain (I honestly think I was the only one who knew what they were, no one else bid lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so pricey! Good catch for you. I didn't realize until I looked more closely at the box that the company was part of Reidel. I am glad I looked!

      Delete
  2. It does seem more satisfying somehow to know you purchased a "luxury" item on the cheap. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on this one. I don't drink but I understand not wanting to drink a good win out of a Styrofoam cup.

    ReplyDelete