Thursday, March 8, 2018

Supermarket Dinner

 
Wegmans now sells pre-made entrees in a plastic bag that is safe to cook in.  This was developed as a team effort between the supermarket chain and the Rochester Institute of Technology and was a convenience food I wanted to sample -- it didn't hurt that they had a $4 coupon as enticement.  I was interested to see if this was something worth buying for camp.


You can either cook the pouch in the oven at 375, or in your crockpot on high for three hours.  I chose the oven method because it would take less time. At camp, I would use the crockpot method.  All you do is remove the label, put the pouch in a baking dish or crock (the side that needs to stay on top is printed on the bag).


Once time is up, it needs to sit for ten minutes before you peel back the top layer.  The plastic came up very easily.

The sauce isn't as thick as I'd have liked and it was a bit too salty -- but over all, it was good.  The chicken was tender and the flavor was nice.  I served it over linguine with spiralized carrots.  I did not eat all that pasta.   We had leftovers so I mixed it all in a bowl, diced up the chicken-feta-spinach sausage I had from two nights ago, along with the remaining pasta sauce.  This will be plenty for dinner tomorrow and lunch on Saturday.

I think we will bring this to camp (if I have a coupon, of course).  I'll boil the pasta/carrot ahead of time.   I give this convenience supermarket meal two thumbs up.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds very interesting. I'm having a flashback to childhood dinners of chicken a la king - the ones you boiled in a bag and then dumped over toast. It was a staple food in our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those! I can say this was better. And I do use boil-in bag rice at camp too.

      Delete
  2. It looks good, like something I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you can trust Wegman's quality. I like to make this from scratch but in a pinch, this is a good alternative.

      Delete