Friday, March 2, 2018

Financial Friday

A good portion of my day off was spent addressing financial matters.  There is a fee disclosure form I need (the 404-A5) which must signed in order to roll my former 401(k) into my IRA.  I had asked for the form to be sent to me.  It didn't come.  I got a reset for my PIN and the login still doesn't work.  Blah, blah, blah.  I called the provider and they told me the 2018 form didn't become available until Tuesday.  Believe it or not, they would only email it to my email record on file -- which was my old work email address.  I was able to get them to fax it to TBG at his work.  I should have it on hand for my meeting with the financial adviser on Tuesday.


After dealing with that, I set up an appointment to open an HSA for TBG.  His job provides the High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP), but not an  HSA, which sucks.  I have accounts with two banks, one of which I  used to work for.  I keep some money there because it isn't as easy to get to, thus I am less likely to withdraw it.  I still contribute $100 per pay period to it.  That serves as our emergency fund. They outsource their HSA and there is a fee.

Our primary bank does offer and HSA and since we are customers, there is no fee.  We were able to open the account, get the forms we need his employer to fill out and also put in an order for me to get a debit card too.  This was more efficient than doing it on-line.  I was also there to get information on setting it up for a business.  I will be getting our employees at my new job set up with their first HSAs.  I explained to them what the purpose and advantages are, and they now understand.  The owner and I are a little maternalistic and want to be sure they get off on the best financial footing and have a good start to their careers.  TBG says that none of his team have an HSA either.  That is because it's not easy to do -- because the employer doesn't do it.  It would be pretty simple to pair an HSA with the HDHP and I don't know why they don't do it.  I know I had been afater TBG to do it and it wasn't getting done, hence I set up the appointment and went with him.  I still have the hassle of getting at my HSA money from my old job, which has not been as easy as I thought it would be.

I'll be taking the business material I got today and put an analysis together of different HSA plans and that will help the owner decide which plan to go with.  It is nice that I can drive something like this and it's part of the reason that I am glad to be back to a small company -- it's the best fit for my small life too.

Alas, I did not get much else done today as it took some time to deal with the foot of snow we got.  Teddy got groomed and driving a few miles into the city was a hassle because their plowing is so bad.  I did manage to get the linen laundry done -- and nothing broke (that I know of).  We also splurged on a take-out fish fry. It was less expensive than dining out and it game fresh from the fish market two blocks away.   I think that means my Friday was a financial success!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it was such a financial success and also, at the opposite extreme, that you enjoyed your fish and chips supper!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of the Fish and Chips dinner, were hush puppies I had TBG order on the side. Ooooh, I love hush puppies!

      Delete