Sunday, March 11, 2018

Carrot Crazy

I think of carrots as one of the best frugal food bargains.   They are cheap, healthy and versatile.  I use them in soups, stocks, salads, sauces and roast them as a side dish.  The LTSL refrigerator always has at least one carrot in the crisper drawer.  For 79 cents a pound, I am getting vitamins, fiber and a low calorie ingredient that tastes good.


 These days I am seeking out fat carrots.  My willingness to buy a bag is based on girth first.  Since carrots have a longer shelf life than a lot of other forms of produce, I will buy a larger bag over a smaller one if the carrots are larger.   The bonus is that Teddy loves them, so everything I make with a carrot is a treat for her.  Chicken stock is simmering on the stove and she's going to enjoy all of the mushed up leftovers -- including the carrots.

The reason I like the fat ones, is that I am spiralizing them for pasta and noodle soups.  A cup of spaghetti  has something like 200 calories per cup, but a cup of carrots is just 60.  The chicken cacciatore I made a few nights ago used a half box of pasta and this bowl of spiralized carrots.  We had six meals. I did add three sliced up chicken/feta/spinach sausages -- but no extra pasta.

I toss the carrots in  with the pasta when there is about a minute left to cook.  That way, I can make sure the carrots and pasta get thoroughly mixed.  Don't be worried that I am boiling off nutrients because I save the pasta water.  I used a decent amount on the left-overs so the spaghetti wouldn't dry out when we baked it the second day.  I will use the rest of the pasta water in a soup I am staring today.  The carrots gave the water a little extra flavor and having the gluten in from the pasta will help thicken my stock.

Zucchini noodles are awesome too -- but that vegetable is more pricey in the cold weather.  Carrots are inexpensive all year and that is why I love them so much.

12 comments:

  1. Because I could not use my carrot scraper, I started using baby carrots. Then, I was given a really good/sharp scraper and now buy five pounds of carrots in a bag. They are so much better. Exbf loves them baked with anything using garlic and olive oil only sometimes. What kind of spiralizer do you use exactly. My first chickens loved carrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cheap one called a Vegetti, and is actually one of those "As Seen on TV" products. I got mine for ten bucks on sale a few years ago, so I was happy to get one for $6.99. I will probably move up to a mechanical/powered model now that I use it so much!

      Delete
    2. Alex,
      Thanks. I bought one of those and took it back. I may get the powered one since my right and left hand are injured and hurt with much use. I bought 5 lbs of carrots and paid $3.52, so $.70/lb. Thanks.

      Delete
    3. There is a super-expensive version made by KitchenAid -- which I will take a pass on, even though I have the stand mixer. I am looking out for the crank versions too.

      Delete
  2. They also last forever in a crisper. I bought 20 lbs in October and just finished the last of them at the farmers market. The final carrot was just as nice and crisp as the first, it sure makes a difference when you can buy straight from the farmer. It makes you wonder how old the ones you buy in the store are. Next year I am going to buy more and store another 20 lbs in the garage over winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love carrots too - the form the base of every soup, stew and casserole I make, along with onion and celery. They're great vegetables!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to use them to cut the acidity and add sweetness to tomato/pasta sauce. Who needs to add sugar when a carrot will do the same job?

      Delete
  4. I think carrots are a basic food group and they are really cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even when I don't need to worry about grocery spending, I still buy them. I guess I'll always want to be frugal.

      Delete
  5. this is really nice to read..informative post is very good to read..thanks a lot! Who makes pure balance dog food

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appreciate for this detailed information. With a vegetable chopper, you can get the perfect shape in less time and less mess. We can help you to find the Top vegetable choppers in the market.

    ReplyDelete