Monday, February 26, 2018

Doing Dinner

 I've been sticking to my goal of making a healthy and fresh dinner every night.  We are eating around 6PM and trying to include a salad with each meal.  This meal is very vegetable-heavy.  We love our pasta but are trying to cut back.  In the past, I would probably have added some bread to this meal, but as much as I like bread, it's not a good way to maintain a healthy waistline.  sigh.


While this might look like a lot of pasta, part if it is actually spiralized carrot.  This batch used only a half box of pasta, the rest was carrot.  It was enough for four or five portions.  In the past, we'd be getting maybe four portions out of an entire box of pasta.  So, we really are scaling back.  We aren't starving, mind you -- but we are trying to be reasonable while enjoying something we love.  You might call us Pastafarians!


 In the mix, was a chicken breast left from a bird I roasted earlier in the week, red peppers, mushrooms and onions.  A small amount of wine and home-made stock helped make it more "tossable" with some grated cheese.  There is no way I would cut out olive oil, but I can manage with less if I use some stock and wine.


We love our salad greens and I am willing to pay a little more to have the convenience of a mix on hand.  This bowl had mushrooms, walnuts and dried cranberries.  I make sure we go light on the dressing, generally a vinaigrette.

While we were eating healthy before I went part time, it's nice to be able to pull a meal like this together before TBG gets home, when I can also get almost all of the clean-up taken care of, and we can be done with dinner before 7PM.

2 comments:

  1. Your salads look like ours. Great idea for part spiralized veggie and part pasta. I can't give up pasta entirely but that's a great way to cut it down. Lately I've been using white wine vinegar and olive oil as my only dressing for salads. So little is needed and it comes very cheaply too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi sells a bag of lemons for cheap these days, so I love that with EVOO as our dressing. I might add a tiny bit from a bottle (I picked up some Wishbone EVOO dressign for cheap last week). But we are using a lot of lemon in our salads.

      In the summer I spiralize summer squash a lot -- but it doesn't hold up as well and isn't as filling as carrot. I just make sure we buy bags where the carrots are thick.

      Delete