Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Lavender Scent-Crafts

 This is my home-made version of a reed scent diffuser.  With a huge cache of lavender harvested before the first freeze, I had to do something with the stems I had left after pulling all the leaves off.  The oil in the bottom is a mixture of canola and drops of scent oil (the type you put into a wall-plug diffuser).  I had a small mayonnaise jar with a plastic lid. I was able to drill a messy hole into it and stuff in a few wooden skewers and stems.  We will see if it scents my bedroom.


My goal was to make room sachets/potpourri, so that meant finding jars with a lids that had holes. I picked up large cheese shakers for a buck a piece at the Dollar Tree.  They are painted white with Rustoleum -- because that was what I had on hand. I would have preferred spray paint.


The jar has the leaves and a few chunks of Yardley lavender soap, plus a few drops of the scent oil.  If the smell begins to fade, I can put a few more drops of oil in.  There's also enough room to shake it up, which will probably help release the scent.



I kept one jar for myself and then wrapped up two for give-aways. I sealed the top with plastic wrap and then the cloth, screwed on the lids and tied around with twine.  That should keep the scent in.  I have plenty of lavender left still, so I will make more. I might try the next set without coloring the glass.  I just thought the white would go with the gentle scent.

These days, I have very little time for projects and crafting.  However, I just did not want the herbs to go to waste.  Not being a big fan of lavender, I was sold after putting a few sprigs in my room for a guest and realizing how relaxing the scent was.  Maybe it will help me sleep better!  In any event, I thought it was a cool thing to do.

5 comments:

  1. Great idea...I love lavender and had to let it freeze because I didn't know what to do with it all...I'll be hitting up Dollar Tree for these shakers...very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have no room in our freezer, so I was happy to have a way to use it. There are shorter shakers too which I think I'll look for in the future.

      Delete
  2. The shaker idea looks like a good one! I like scents but hubby does not so it has to be a very mild one. Lavendar works - in small quantities. Go you for putting it to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't been a big fan of lavender, but the fresh stuff is better. I've been stressed lately and I do find sniffing it makes me relax a bit. I'm beginning to like it more these days.

      Delete
  3. Great idea but my neighbor is so allergic to lavender I pulled all my plants :(

    ReplyDelete