Monday, September 4, 2017

The Driveway is Done

The concrete was finished for our driveway on Friday.  They need to come back to remove the framing and give it one more wash-down.  We are happy with the result.  In another  month, we will seal it -- and they are lending us a sprayer.  We only replaced the sections that were badly cracked and hope to do the remaining segments next year. 
Of course I had to pay homage to the year it was installed.  Up in one corner, I placed a shiny 2017 penny and at the bottom at the edge of the street, we added a Teddy paw-print.  We wanted to commemorate that she was in the house the year we had it poured.  Silly but sentimental -- and the concrete guys thought those were cool ideas.  They also thought she was a puppy.  She liked them all.

The bottom section of our driveway was so badly cracked that it was a tripping hazard.  Whomever did it before, just poured in single-slab sections.  Now they are split down the middle which will keep them intact longer.  I was told there had been a tree at the foot of the driveway and that probably added to the problem.

We will do this section later.  The part closest to the gate cracked with the weight of the heavy equipment, but there is nothing we can do about that.  It will hold up for another year or two.

Our next project is to put Hardie-board siding on the exterior of the house because the shingles are breaking and splitting.  Owning a house is a costly proposition, but we have to keep up with the necessary repairs before we can do the fun stuff.  Oh well!  One more item off the list.

12 comments:

  1. Hardie board siding is a good product, they tend to use it alot here in Canada in the colder parts like Alberta as it stands up well. The home upkeep/repair list is never ending, even if you have a newer house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few Canadian friends who are architects who have said they will stop talking to me if I use vinyl siding. Hardie board has a much longer life so I believe it will be worth it.

      Delete
  2. Wow looks so nice. Love the penny and paw idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby admits that the paw looks really cool. Teddy has a lot of boyfriends in the neighborhood and they are always sniffing for her -- so I was happy to put it up front.

      Delete
  3. Looks good. I love the paw print and Teddy and the guys having a good time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a real odd lot, but very cool. She watched them out the window for many days as was so happy to meet them. It's nice to have a dog that likes everyone.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the paw print, and the driveway looks fantastic. I really need to do mine, but it's at least 3 times the size of yours and, OY! Well, let's just say it's not at the top of the list yet. Enjoy your new driveway, I'm sure it will make things much easier for snow removal this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not looking forward to doing the middle section in another couple of years! If you can't do your entire driveway, do the rear sections first. That way you don't have worry the newer job will be damaged by heavy equipment. Cement work is so pricey!

      Delete
  5. While our driveway looks so much better now, my body will need just a little more time to adjust and heal. But with God as the foreman on this job and all of you and the docs and nurses doing their parts, I should be in line to receive the "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" soon enough too. The hoop-and-driveway project was a process that has been finished. Recovering my health is a process that has not been finalized yet. But when it is recovered, Tem better watch out because it will be time for me to work some magic out there on that court.backyard fence installation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I have read all your Blog this So Nice and Awesome service you have provided, I learn many new things from here and want implement my website. If you are also Know for Driveways Easingwold New related to this then visit my website.

    ReplyDelete