Sunday, September 10, 2017

My New Classic

Sometimes if you want something bad enough, and you're willing to wait until you can afford it, the opportunity to have it will come down the road.  Or in my case, you'll drive down the road and find it.  Case in point, my "new" Mercedes station wagon.  I have wanted an estate wagon for years and years -- even before I had a dog to haul around.  I've also always wanted a Mercedes but on my meager career-girl salary, that wasn't possible.

Last week, driving down Lake Road, we passed a Mercedes wagon on the side of the road with a "For Sale" sign on it.  My heart did flip-flops as we drove by.  On the way back to camp we pulled over to look.  The last week has been spent researching how we'd insure it and who'd be our mechanic.  We have both lined up and went to meet the owners on Saturday.


This 300 Turbo Diesel wagon is in prime condition on the exterior and not bad for the interior given it's age.  We drove it and it started on the first try.  This car has to take around 2.5 minutes to go from 0 - 60, but once is there, it runs like an Amtrak train.  It loves to go fast -- and so do I.

Here's the kicker -- it's a 1984.  Yes, I bought a 33 year old car.  It has had two owners and every piece of maintenance paperwork was included.  It has had regular oil changes and valve maintenance, nothing was "fixed" -- just things like brake pads, new tires (four very good condition Michellins).  The AC was fixed this summer too.  When the last owner bought it in 2008, she had it painted.  There is no rust as it came from South Carolina and once up at Lake Ontario, it was kept in a barn during the winter.   It has 220K miles on it and we'll be able to easily get 100K more.

The sellers are friends of the couple that own our RV park.   They let me put a check down for one third of it, take the car, gave me the title, and I'm mailing the remainder tonight. TBG will be alarmed that I will  now be better able to curb shop.  But that's the life this car is accustomed to.  The two prior ladies who drove it trafficked antiques.  It's hauled a lot of old stuff.

We will be deciding which car we won't hold on to as I plan to drive this beast every day.  I have a car restoration guy in mind to do some work on the interior and we have nothing to worry about with the engine.  I know most people (except for Vic) will think I'm crazy --  but I couldn't let this car pass me by.  It didn't hurt that it came with a groovy pair of vintage French binoculars.  Methinks I need some steam-punk fashions to wear while driving it.  Luckily, all I have to do is go over to CLAMCO for inspiration there!

11 comments:

  1. I love it...probably built like a tank and will give you a lot of joy!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When would you ever think you'd get to own this kind of piece of automotive history? I just could not pass it up!

      Delete
  2. That is wonderful for you. Yes, sometimes you wait and the thing comes along. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year the car was sold, it was five times my salary. Even today, it would probably cost my yearly salary to buy new. Unless I win a big lottery, I'll never buy one new. Lucky for me, I found this relic!

      Delete
  3. She's a beauty - I believe in buying what makes you happy, especially when you pay cash for it! She likely is better built than most modern day cars including modern Mercedees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This model is considered the predecessor for the modern "E" series. The year it was built, you had to wait a year for delivery. Many people sold it at a profit after they bought it. She is listed as the best classic car to use as an every day ride. So much about her makes me happy!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of our friends has a classic Mercedes estate (that's what us Brits call that model) like yours, they are gorgeous motors! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in America, it's referred to as a "Suburban," which I think is totally gross!

      Delete
  6. Ha ha! Thanks for the shout out! We can set you up with some goggles if you need them! What a beautiful car. Funny, we bought our daughter a 91 Ford Aerostar van and it too came with every bit of maintenance paperwork for it. She took her driver's test yesterday and the lady tester raved about the awesome condition it was in. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe you made the right choice. That's a pretty cool car. And you've been wanting to have one all your life so it's just right to fork out some cash to get one. Besides, you look awesome in a station wagon, let alone a Mercedes. All the basic features are there, too, you said so it's a sweet deal. I hope to see more photos of you in your car.

    Madonna Gentry @ SVS Autocare

    ReplyDelete