Saturday, September 30, 2017

Cooking My Share

It has been a challenge not to waste the farm share we signed up for.  A lot of it goes to the boys next door.  While I was on my own Thursday night, I sauteed up a lot of green pepper and onion, along with a tray for "Special Today" beef.  The intention was to make filling for omelettes or  a hefty side portion for a couple of batches of "steak and egg"  breakfast.  In addition to the meat and veggie portion, I also boiled potatoes to have on the side.


TBG generally eats an egg a day for breakfast.  I froze portions for him to bring to work so he can mix it in and nuke with an egg.  He can grate cheese and bring that along too.  Or else, he can just use this for a couple of weekend breakfasts.

Bacon and sausage have a high sodium content, not to mention being full of saturated fats.  These fillers are better for him and helped me use up a couple of peppers before they went bad.  We don't have a ton of room in the freezer, but will only have this stuff around for a week or so.

My next project will be to bake some pie as we have tons of apples.  Getting a farm share leads to a lot of work!

8 comments:

  1. Cheese is also full of sodium. I buy the kind that has almost no salt (only 30 mg to a 100 g). It's a bit on the expensive side but, as we know, salt like sugar is a killer. So it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hope is also if I load up a lot of ingredients with flavor, that he won't fee the need to use much cheese!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did the CSA thing this year too. It was great but it meant every Saturday I got to spend quite a bit of time prepping and freezing the stuff. We shared alot with others too. Those pepper packs will make great additions to the egg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peppers have worked out great for the egg thing. We made a huge batch with a scramble on Saturday at camp -- and had plenty for Sunday too! The share is a lot of work.

      Delete
  4. I did the CSA thing for a while years ago, but honestly, it just got to be too much for me. Add in the abundance of produce from my own garden, the challenge of finding someone to take all the CSA stuff that I was allergic to, and the hour long drive to pick up the box once a week... and well, I punted. I do have to say, though, that it did encourage me to do much more cooking - and to eat many more veggies - than I otherwise would have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't do this again next year because it is too much work. And picking it up after work takes 45 minutes for us.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post and well written. With a vegetable chopper, you can get the perfect shape in less time and less mess. We can help you to find the Best vegetable choppers in the market.

    ReplyDelete