Saturday, August 26, 2017

Small Save

 Well, another fitted sheet has bitten the dust.  It served it's purpose for the past five years in major rotation on my bed.  There is still more life in it, though.  The first step is to cut it up into a flat sheet of fabric.  In order to do that, I cut all of the elastic off of the edge.  It looks like something a normal person would toss, but not me!

The pieces were cut into smaller lengths and will serve as make-shift scrunchies and headbands and hair elastics when I am doing messy work.  They will be just fine if I am slathering a mask on my face, putting my hair up to paint, maybe doing some spot coloring if I feel my hair needs a change.

I'll probably make pillow cases out of the good sections of the sheet, or maybe a couple of night shirts.  Left over scraps are also great for straining food -- especially yogurt.  This is high count 100% cotton, so it will be perfect for those tasks.

Big Lots had 520 count pima cotton standard pillow cases on clearance for five bucks per package of two.  That means the pillow cases I make will be destined for camp.  That's the best place for them.  They're soft and won't get heavy usage.  I am a cotton and thread count snob when it comes to sheets.  Since I only buy them at a discount or when they are on sale, and I always use them past their first purpose, I don't feel badly about my preference.  Making scrunchies out of the elastic edges might seem really sad, I feel good about it because I'm putting every last scrap of a nice pair of sheets to good use.  It's only a small savings, and I'm not rescuing the environment either, but I'm happy to be able to be resourceful about it.

4 comments:

  1. Yay, I love it when things can constantly be reused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reuse sheets, too, once they aren't whole enough for the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have sheet sets from when I was married. We divorced in 1975. That's a lot of years to use sheets! Admittedly, they're pretty thin by now, but, boy, are they soft.

    ReplyDelete