Monday, July 10, 2017

Jamming

 
I have started making my own jam and now I never want to buy it at the store again.  The first time, it was because we had a surplus of strawberries from our farm share.  Now they are done with strawberries, so I picked up two bags frozen, plus one bag of blueberries.  They are organic and were something like $2.50 each at Aldi.  So far I have made three batches and learned that you want to use fruit pectin, not gelatin.  So those are the main ingredients, in addition to sugar and a few flavorings.

The process is simple. You mush up the fruit, then you add in sugar and pectin (which I mix together first).  According to the recipe, you use 1.5 to 3 cups of sugar, which I think is too much.  Half a cup works fine for me.  I add grated lemon zest and a pour of creme de casis (black currant liquor) and brandy.  Just mix it all together and let it sit a bit.

You can eat this great stuff the next day, or freeze it.  A fresh batch lasts about ten days in the fridge (it will be gone before then).  If you freeze it, leave space in the jar for it to expand.  This stuff is great in yogurt -- a lot less sugar than the traditional "fruit on the bottom" variety.  We use it on pancakes, biscuits, muffins, sandwiches, etc.

When you look at all the sugar in jams and jelly, it makes this method very attractive.  You can buy "fruit only" products, but they are expensive.  I think that the cost of my home-made version is probably three bucks per pound, which is a lot more economical and healthy that store-bought.  Best of all, it's so easy anyone can make it.

6 comments:

  1. Do you have to use sugar? Do you want to use sugar? I think you'd better try the light jam version - sugarless or with some sugar substitute like sucraloz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like artificial sweeteners and especially dislike sucralose (Splenda). I use so much less that the recipe calls for that I don't worry about it per serving. I do have a sweet tooth and would like to use more but don't want the calories!

      Delete
  2. Fruit is sweet, so I don't use as much sugar in jelly as it calls for. I would use 1/2 cup, too. What can happen? If it is too firm or too runny, I can adapt as long as I am not eating such a sugary product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And it doesn't need to be perfect if it tastes "real." I feel the same way about pie filling, which is why I refuse to use it from a can.

      Delete