Sunday, February 12, 2017

Easy Like Sunday Morning

Sunday is the day to make a special breakfast.  This morning I made wheat pancakes along with an over-easy egg.  The pancakes were a "one-stop" affair. They had the meat mixed right in.  In addition, they had nuts & seeds, plus dried fruit.  For the batter, I used a small serving (4-6 pancake) portion of Krusteaze buttermilk pancake mix, then two more equal parts of whole wheat pastry flour.  The batter  was intended to be high-fiber and the Krusteaze was in the mix just to lighten it up a bit.  The sausage and eggs were natural/organic.

Each week, I put together a mixture of chopped nuts and seeds to toss over salads.  I used what we had left at the end of the week and will put together a new batch today.  This mixture had walnuts, pecans, almonds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and pine nuts.  I added additional walnuts and pecans.  There was also a partial bag of dried cranberries which made it into the mix as well.

Some time ago, I picked up a package of "Use Today" pineapple and bacon sausage.  This combo just screamed "BREAKFAST" to me.  Last night, I pulled out two links and cooked them before throwing them into the fridge to cool.  I wanted them to be solid enough to cut into small bits, which I did this morning.  My goal was to serve the meat inside the pancakes so that I didn't have to take the time to do them on the stove-top separately.  Another reason was I wanted to better "portion" each serving.  It's easy to think that you'd serve one sausage per person.  Using this method, I'm stretching out the serving side.  Economical from a financial and calorie perspective. 

One reason  I made a tripe batch was to have breakfast for during the week.  Were I big conglomerate food producer or fast-food joint, I'd market these as "Artisanal" pancakes and charge a lot for them because they are made with whole wheat flower, natural/organic sausage, free-range organic eggs and lots of nuts.  The truth is that the per-serving cost is less than the normal .89 cent Burger King pancake menu item.

An effort like this is cheap and sensible, and it makes every day breakfast during the week easy, tasting like Sunday morning!

2 comments:

  1. You're probably thin, so you don't mind the nuts and almonds which are a significant calorie addition. Whole wheat flour is also high in calories. So you see cheap and tasty are not the only parameters to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not thin by any means! However, there are so many health benefits to nuts, and I love the way they taste! I have an intense job and in order to get through the morning, I need the carbs and proteins... calories be damned! TBG has a blue collar job and needs the energy too. Plus I just love me some hearty panny-cakes!!!

    ReplyDelete