Monday, January 2, 2017

Fixing What's Broken

One of my favorite vintage necklaces broke.  It was a double strand of white glass beads, with larger beads separated by tiny ones, and two graduating sizes.  I was heartbroken but knew I wasn't going to give up.

I restrung the beads.  I used Stretch Magic elastic for the necklace and one bracelet. I used copper wire for the other and threw in a few blue glass beads.  I even manged to make a set of earrings.  I spaced the white beads with small gold glass beads.

The new set is totally different in appearance from the original. I'll have to haunt estate sales and vintage shops to see if I can find another one like the original.  But I'm not too bummed because I was able to recycle and re-design. 

When in doubt, don't throw it out!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was even able to re-use one of the findings. Best of all, I also used supplies I already have on hand!

      Delete
  2. For years I have repaired my broken pieces or remade things. I gave extra stuff no longer needed or like to Clamco.
    PRACTICAL PARSIMONY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to now rework a few other broken pieces. It's less expensive than taking them in for repairs.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work and great upcycling ! I have my sewing machine out and have 23 UFOs to complete before I start anything new. My target is to buy nothing until I have done these. First one finished yesterday, so upwards and onwards. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, I've got a few sewing projects to tackle, I think I like the jewelry tasks better!

      Delete